How to fit your Clarks shoes
Nobody knows more than Clarks about the importance of properly fitting kids' shoes.
While we would always recommend your child's shoes are fitted by one of our trained fitters, the following video demonstrations and step-by-step instructions will enable you to carry out a basic fit test at home.
Please review them carefully before checking the fit of your child's Clarks shoes and allow plenty of time to carry out the check.
A step-by-step guide to fitting your Clarks ShoesOr watch the video now
Step One - Length
- Help your child put the shoes on and check they are fastened effectively. Feel for the end of your child's longest toe - getting them to wriggle their toes may help.
- Check there is sufficient growing room. At Clarks we recommend 14mm growing room for all styles, except for open-toed sandals and Pre-Walking styles from our First Shoes range - for which we recommend 10mm growing room.
Step Two - Width
- Feel along the inside and outside of the shoe with your hand.
- There should be no pressure or pinching at the sides.
- Your child should be able to wriggle their little toe.
Step Three - Depth
- Pull your fingers across the front of the shoe.
- There should be sufficient depth for comfort.
- The leather should ripple, not pleat or crease.
Step Four - Top of the shoe
- Feel around the top edge of the shoe.
- There should be no gaps and the leather shouldn't rest against the ankle bone unless it is soft and padded.
Step Five - Heel grip
- Sit your child down and lift one foot.
- Pull down gently on the back of shoe.
- Make sure that it grips the heel well.
- Repeat with the other foot.
Step Six - Walking
- Now ask your child to walk in their shoes.
- Make sure that they are able to walk easily and naturally
- Check that the shoes grip when walking.
- The shoes should not gape excessively at the sides.